FHS Monday October 17, 2012 http://goo.gl/uWIoa
Professional Learning Communities (50 min)
Objective: Organize ourselves for rich diverse conversations around essential questions in education and essential skills work. Read an article and use protocol to discuss in small groups how effective our use of homework is.
- PLC Chart >Organize ourselves—10 min
- Explain Sharing Protocol– 5 min
- Read article -10 min
- Discuss own practice and article using protocol-15 min
- Free discussion on homework-10 min
Question: How have you changed your homework policies given the new schedule? Is homework “equitable” given the varying degrees of support at home? Are the majority of students turning in their homework on time? Is homework a way to “get through the content?” Or a chance to practice acquired skills? Are we just having students accumulate points or are we assessing their learning?
- Rethinking Homework or Homework: No Proven Benefit by Alfie Kohn.
- The Case Against Homework Interview on Today Show
- Why I don’t assign homework by Dan Meyer
- In defense of homework by Lisa Morehouse
SIOP (30 min)
Objective: Using a written pretest FHS will determine how and for whom we will differentiate our SIOP Training Instruction.
(If you finish early– read one more article on homework.)
DEBRIEF/META (10 min)
Objective:Reflect in writing and speaking in large group and pair share on the strategies used in today’s PD in order to make them explicit.
- In large group share out the strategies used in today’s PD.
- Write about the application of small group discussion, the reading protocol, and the pretest in your classroom in your composition book.
- Pair share.