Objective: Teachers, in small groups, will reflect on homework objectives, policies, practices and results by reading and discussing excerpts, writing on and discussing key questions, and reviewing own student grades.
- Find your new group. While waiting feel free to read article on table. (5 min)
- Choose one of the colored excerpts and find one line that stands out. (5 min)
- 1 & 1: (Small group popcorn-1 question and 1connection/argument/reflection) (5 min)
- Pick 1 or 2 questions (see Handout) as a group. Individually reflect in comp book(5 min)
- Pick a facilitator and timekeeper. Discuss using Sharing Protocol or timer- make sure everyone gets a chance to share reflections on question. Then discuss . (25 min)
- Review your students’ grades and complete exit slip. (5 min)
- Hazardous Homework by Galloway and Pope
- Rethinking Homework or Homework: No Proven Benefit by Alfie Kohn.
- The Case Against Homework Interview on Today Show
- Why I don’t assign homework by Dan Meyer
- In defense of homework by Lisa Morehouse